
All I can say is, this would make for some very interesting book group discussion! I have loved other books by Shannon Hale, especially the Goose Girl series. She is a talented writer, and though unmerited, I personally take pride in LDS writers that make it off the shelves of Deseret Book (though that's where I first saw it). This novel is a bit of a cross-over, an LDS novel written to appeal to a broader audience. It was an entertaining read, though I'll admit that I felt a bit nervous and even frustrated as I read it. It's difficult to describe, but read the review and you'll get a hint of what I mean.
From the New York Daily News:
The Actor and the Housewife" is completely unbelievable and totally credible. Where did Shannon Hale come up with this story? Becky Jack is a devoted wife and a Mormon who, against all odds, sold a screenplay. She is in her agents’ office when British screen star Felix Callahan walks in. They begin a sparring conversation, and things go from there.But not to bed. Becky is devoted to her husband, Mike, and their four children. Her way of life, as well. Felix can’t quit her, though. She adores him, but not in that way. The dialogue is witty, the romantic suspense genuine, and the finale? It ends the way it should.
Let me know if you've read it or would like to borrow it. I'd love to hear someone else's take on this love story.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.